Saturday, April 16, 2011

Natalie Portman Drops Vegan Diet While Pregnant

The news broke this week that vegan poster-child, Natalie Portman, has reverted to a vegetarian diet now that she's pregnant. Being as I've never been pregnant I was a little hesitant to even blog about it since I'm unable to speak from experience. But I'll try anyway.  =p


I can certainly see both sides of it since I firmly believe you should learn to listen to your body and do what it tells you. But where she loses me is how she justifies it because she was "craving cookies and cake". Huh? Doesn't she live in NYC where there is a plethora of vegan restaurants and bakeries? Isn't she also a multi-millionaire who can afford to hire someone to bake delicious vegan treats FOR her?


Is there something more to this story or what? She admitted that plenty of women adhere to a vegan diet while pregnant and that you just have to be extra cautious when it comes to your iron and B12 levels. Very true. So now she's going against her ethics (which are what she has always claimed led her to a vegan lifestyle to begin with) because of pregnancy cravings?


Again, I am in no position to judge but I'm confused nevertheless.


I want to know - what are your thoughts????





2 comments:

  1. While I don't necessarily have much to say about Natalie's decision, as I'm neither vegan or pregnant (I think), I think it's important for you to do a restaurant review of Olive Vine. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see what you're saying. If I can manage to find vegan desserts in my little hick town, Natalie Portman should be able to get her hands on some in NYC. I won't judge her-everyone has their moments of weakness, and while I've never been pregnant, I think everyone knows that pregnancy cravings are like no other-but it's disappointing that someone who advocates a vegan diet, even while pregnant, would give up veganism simply for her cravings.

    ReplyDelete