Sunday, April 10, 2011

Restaurant Review: Wynn Buffet



My first trip as a vegan included dinner at the Wynn Buffet in Las Vegas. Courtesy of Steve Wynn, all of the restaurants in his resorts are required to offer vegan options now that he has adapted a vegan lifestyle himself. Thank you sir!

I was in Las Vegas with my boss for a conference and went out one night with some colleagues. My boss suggested the Wynn Buffet since he thought everyone could always find something to eat at a buffet (which also included me since it we’d be at the Wynn). I happily agreed.

We headed over and after a short wait we were seated at our table. I made my way into the buffet area and began my search for the vegan options I had heard so much about. Needless to say I was concerned when I made my way passed the salads, soups and some appetizers and hadn’t found anything labeled “vegan”. I decided to stop and ask someone behind the cases if they could help me. She asked politely if I wouldn't mind waiting a minute so that she could bring a chef out to tour the buffet with me. My own personal chef/tour guide? Hmm. Let me think about that… =p

Less than thirty seconds later, Heriberto appeared. He proceeded to walk me through the entire buffet, pointing out every single dish I could eat. Afterwards I thanked him for all his help when he looked at me puzzled and asked, "Don't you want to see the dessert?!" Dessert! Of course! What was I thinking?! We walked into the Dessert Room (yes, the desserts there have their own separate room) and shortly after, he frowned when he realized there weren't too many things he could offer me. I told him it would be fine because I love fruit and would be happy to have some after my dinner. He explained that they used to have sorbet but stopped serving it recently. He then insisted that he would find me strawberry sorbet, top it with fresh berries and leave it in the Dessert Room for me to ask for when I was ready.

So I think it’s pretty clear that the service at the Wynn is top notch. Well it turns out the food is too! I started with Roasted Corn and Quinoa Cakes, naan, hummus and grilled asparagus and basically just kept going back for more, ignoring all other options. Oops! It’s just that they were THAT delicious and sometimes it’s the simple things like naan and hummus that can just be so darn good. After making room in my very full stomach for dessert, I headed back in to get my sorbet. Yes, it was amazing and the fresh, ripe berries definitely put it over the top.

All in all, the Wynn Buffet surpassed every expectation I had going in - save one. I was a little surprised there wasn’t a broader selection of vegan desserts. I know it may come as a surprise, but sometimes we vegans like to indulge and when you’re in the city that practically invented the word you’d expect a little more than fruit. Come on, Mr. Wynn! Let’s make it happen! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment