Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Favorites - Egg & Dairy Substitutes

Reducing or eliminating eggs and dairy from your diet can be easier than you think. These are my favorite products to use when I'm cooking or baking - my can't-live-without staples!


Earth Balance - The EB line is pretty awesome. They have a variety of products to choose from based on your preference and/or what you're using it for. My personal favorite is the Whipped Organic Buttery spread for my bagels, muffins, sandwiches, you name it. I always keep sticks on hand since it allows for easy measuring. I also keep the shortening sticks as well for my baking needs. FYI - their products are 100% vegan and don't contain any trans-fats or hydrogenated oils.


Daiya Cheese - Daiya, oh Daiya. What would I do without you?! For anyone out there who thinks the same way I used to, believing they could never go vegan because they couldn't live without cheese - fear no more! Daiya (pronounced, DAY-uh) is hands down the best vegan cheese out there. It melts and stretches just like cheese should but without the plasticky and/or oily texture that you find in other vegan cheeses out there. For awhile Daiya only offered mozzarella or cheddar and I've been happy eating my pizza, grilled cheese and tacos again. However, they recently launched a new pepper jack cheese and I can't wait for a store in my area to start carrying it already so I can try it out!


Ener-G Egg Replacer - One 16 oz. box is estimated to yield over 100 "eggs". At just six or seven dollars a box, it's not only the compassionate choice but the economical choice as well! The box also has a shelf life of three years so there's no need to worry about spoilage either. The one thing I have noticed is that I always need to double the quantity of egg replacers that a recipe calls for. For instance, when I veganized a black bean burger recipe I had which called for one egg, I found two egg replacers worked perfectly. I also use warm water to prepare it since it seems to blend much easier that way.


Vegenaise - Who said you can't have mayo as a vegan?! My pick is the Organic Vegenaise.


Tofutti Cream Cheese - Tofutti has two vegan cream cheeses, one of which is non-hydrogenated. I sed this one for a while but found the unhealthier, hydrogenated version to be much, much better (surprise, surprise!). Plus, it's softer and easier to spread. It's my little guilty pleasure.



Tofutti Sour Cream - Its texture and consistency is almost dead-on, it's just slightly thicker. Use it in dips, on tacos or quesadillas, pretty much anywhere it calls for sour cream.


Mimic Creme - This is an almond and cashew cream that I love to use when I need something thicker than milk. Sometimes you just want that sauce to be a little richer and creamier, am I right? Mimic Creme is perfect in times like these. I also use it to make homemade ice cream sometimes. It's available sweetened or unsweetened so it can be used in both cooking and baking. I recently discovered that they also offer coffee creamers and non-soy vegan whipping cream. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment